Last Updated on December 5, 2022 by Wandering our World
Greece is an incredible place, and it astonishes us again and again every time we visit. This nation, made up of hundreds of islands and archipelagos, flaunts extraordinary scenery, beautiful coastlines, and a pleasant Mediterranean climate.
For us, it’s a country that feels more romantic and special than anywhere else on earth.
That’s no surprise though. Greece has some of the world’s best sunsets, gorgeous islands, and exceptional food in cozy centuries-old taverns. Alongside that are hotels with stunning seaside views which are perfect for loved-up honeymooners. It’s no wonder that a Greece holiday feels like a vacation to share with someone special.
But deciding which ones are the best Greek islands for couples. or your honeymoon, can be difficult. Especially if you’ve not spent much time in Greece.
Thankfully we know this country well, and are happy to help! Below we’ve put together our selection of the six best islands in Greece for couples.
These islands are romantic, beautiful, and each has its own unique quirks. If you’re looking for a perfect honeymoon, or just a romantic escape with the love of your life, then you won’t be disappointed.
The six best islands in Greece for couples
Where else could we start except Santorini? There’s a reason why this Greek island is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations in Europe.
This famous volcanic island with its stunning caldera is picture perfect. The white-washed buildings that are perched on the steep volcanic cliffs of Santorini are one-of-a-kind. And they seem to glow softly when bathed in the tangerine sunsets that light up the sky and ocean here.
It’s a one-of-a-kind place, and one that you want to share with someone special.
Couple that incredible scenery with the wine tours you can do at Santorini vineyards, the luxurious resorts you can stay at with their romantic rooms and private swimming pools that look out towards the sea, and the exceptional food and restaurants where memorable dinners are the norm, and you have a recipe for romance. Santorini easily makes our list of best Greek islands for couples.
If you do decide to stay in Santorini, here’s a few of our favourite things for couples to do on the island:
- Book a catamaran cruise or a private yacht.
- Enjoy a cocktail at PK Bar while admiring the landscape of Fira.
- Enjoy the sunset from Oia village while having dinner in the intimate Ambrosia Restaurant which has some of the best views on Santorini.
- Go for an early morning walk on Red Beach.
- Rent an ATV and have a fun island adventure with your partner.
- Stay in one of the romantic cliffside cave houses.
Donoussa is something of a secret gem in the Aegean Sea.
This little island has just 180 occupants in summer and under 100 in winter. So if you’re looking for a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of 21st century life and just enjoy spending quality time with a loved one – this could be the best Greek island for you.
There are very few vehicles here – and just one road – so you will have to get around either by boat, local bus or by foot. But that just makes this place even more special. It’s quiet, calm and peaceful. There’s no rushing around. Life moves at its own pace in Donoussa.
And that’s why Donoussa makes our list of best Greek islands for couples. It’s a place which is perfect for relaxing with your partner, where if you want to explore you walk together and enjoy the whole experience together. And all in a peaceful environment.
If you do stay here, some of the best things to see and do as a couple in Donoussa include:
- Kadros Beach: This pretty beach with crystal clear water is romantic and popular with couples. There’s a little beach bar that serves drinks and light snacks too.
- Stavros Village: Visit the picturesque Church of Stavros with its blue dome.
- Be adventurous and explore the two isolated sea caves on this island.
- Livadi Beach: This beach is popular for wild camping and enjoying a night under the stars.
- Have a romantic evening in Mersini at Tzi Tzi Taverna – the views from this mountain restaurant are spectacular.
Mykonos is known as one of Greece’s famous party spots. But it has more to offer than just fun when the sun goes down.
This island has fantastic waterfront eateries, great shopping, some lovely beaches, and beautiful Cycladic architecture seen in its whitewashed homes and blue-domed sanctuaries.
There’s a few reasons why Mykonos makes it onto our list of best islands in Greece for couples. First, is that we’ve found that the nightlife here is fun and enjoyable for young couples. It’s not too wild, but there’s definitely options to party the night away if you wish.
Second, there’s many hotels and apartments here with spectacular seaside views, and often in cozy buildings that have stood on this island for generations. They feel intimate and are as picturesque as the view from their balconies.
And then there’s Little Venice – a waterfront area of the island with restaurants and bars that looks like something out of a movie. It’s a place where people often propose, and where romance is always in the air.
This is easily one of the best Greek islands for couples. If you do stay here, in our opinion these are some of the best things to do in Mykonos:
- Have a drink in Little Venice while watching the sunset.
- Walk the pretty streets of Mykonos hand in hand.
- Take a day cruise to the pretty islands of Delos and Rhenia.
- Watch an outdoor movie at Cine Manto.
- Enjoy some adventure on the sea in a two-person kayak.
The most romantic must-visit places in Mykonos:
- Agios Sostis Beach
- Lia Beach
- Elia Beach
- Little Venice
- The Mykonos Windmills
Naxos is one of the largest islands in Greece, but it isn’t one of the most popular. It should be though!
This island has a bit of everything. From a wonderful coastline to ancient mountain villages, and a smattering of ruins from Ancient Greece.
Strolling around the Old Town of Naxos, with its centuries-old buildings and cobblestone streets, feels romantic. It’s the perfect place to grab a coffee or ouzo and watch the world go by.
Visit the traditional mountain villages where you can enjoy fresh food in tavernas that are older than your parents. Then have dinner and drinks at the promenade in Naxos, enjoying the sunset with cocktails and good company.
If you do stay in Naxos, some of the best couple activities include:
- Swimming at Plaka Beach. This beach is one of the best in Greece. The sand is soft, the water warm and clear – it’s perfect for swimming.
- Witness an astonishing sunset at the Portara. This huge marble gate is a remnant of a temple from Ancient Greece that was never finished. If you want a couple photo like no other, this is the place.
- Enjoy a cocktail and a dance at a rooftop bar with fantastic views, like Babylonia Bar.
You might not have heard of Milos, but this little Cycladic paradise is definitely one of the best Greek islands for couples and romantic escapes.
As it’s a small island, it feels intimate and remote, but it’s also easy to explore in just a few days. It’s definitely one of the most underrated and unknown Greek islands but the beauty of Milos will make you want to come back again and again.
One of the most famous remnants of Ancient Greece, the Venus de Milo (now in the Louvre) was found here in Milos. The statue depicts Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty.
The island remains fit for a goddess of love, with the villages and towns feeling cozy, intimate and picture postcard perfect.
As for the beaches, they feel secluded and many have several small coves and bays. That means there’s plenty of places where you can relax in the turquoise water but in your own private seaside pool or bay. Sarakiniko Beach is a perfect example.
If you’re traveling to Milos, here’s some of the best activities for couples:
- Sarakiniko Beach: The incredible white volcanic rock here has made natural private swimming pools where you can bathe in crystal clear turquoise water.
- Take a boat tour to Kleftiko and swim in the pretty Kleftiko Caves.
- Tour the quaint fishing village of Mantarkia. Grab an ouzo and watch the world go by.
- Take in the sunset from Kastro – the highest spot in Milos’ capital of Plaka. It’s the most romantic view you could ask for.
- Enjoy a night of live music and cocktails at Akri Bar.
Crete is one of Greece’s best honeymoon destinations thanks to a fantastic array of luxury hotels, long stretches of soft sand, and the opportunity to stroll hand-in-hand down cobblestone streets in ancient towns.
There are three main towns in Crete. The first one is Heraklion, which has more of a city feel. The other two are Chania and Rethymnon. All have their own unique charm, but Chania with its 14th-century Venetian harbor, waterside bars and cafes, and views out towards the Mediterranean, always catches our attention.
The Chania region also has some of the best beaches in Crete so it’s a good place to be based.
However what we really love about Crete is not only does it have that romantic feel, but it also has so much of offer for couples that are looking for more than just sunbathing and swimming.
This island has some breathtaking hiking routes, some of the oldest and best preserved ancient buildings throughout Greece, and plenty of vineyards to explore. (Related: Hiking in Crete).
Simply put, this island has become one of the best honeymoon spots in the world because of its breathtaking landscapes, clear water, stunning architecture, hiking trails and beautiful beaches with secret coves and caves.
If you decide to stay in Crete, here are a few of our favourite romantic things to do:
- Watch a movie under the sky at Asteria Open Air Cinema.
- Discover the magical Balos Beach and Balos Lagoon. In our opinion the water colours here are the best in Greece.
- Spend a romantic evening at Elafonisi Beach which is one of the world’s best pink sand beaches.
- Join a wine tasting tour and get tipsy with the one you love!
Our final note on the best Greek islands for couples
If there’s any place that invokes the thought of romance, it’s Greece.
The pristine soft sand beaches and turquoise-hued water here, which are set against a backdrop of volcanic mountains and spectacular sunsets, is as romantic a landscape as you can get. And on our six best Greek islands for couples, that landscape is some of the country’s best.
Tie that in with great food, luxury resorts, stunning architecture, quaint towns and a culture and history unlike anywhere else on earth, and a holiday to Greece never disappoints.