Punta Cana has become an incredibly popular tourist destination for Americans due to the Dominican Republic’s proximity to the US, the beautiful weather, and gorgeous sandy beaches. Punta Cana is also a very safe destination compared to other Dominican Republic cities, so it makes for a great holiday destination.

However, you might be wondering – do you need a passport to go to Punta Cana?

The short answer to this is yes, you will need a valid passport to visit Punta Cana from the United States. A passport is required by US citizens when entering the Dominican Republic, be that by airplane or other mode of transport. You should always ensure you have all the correct documentation needed before travelling.

There are other documents you will need to go to Punta Cana too. But thankfully we have all the information you need right here!

In this article we will outline the travel process for US citizens when visiting Punta Cana. We will also discuss some other questions you may have about travelling to Punta Cana, including the best way to travel, what documents are needed and what to expect.

Do You Need a Passport to go to Punta Cana

Do you need a passport to go to Punta Cana? The other documents you need

When planning your trip to Punta Cana – or any part of the Dominican Republic – it is essential that you make sure you have the correct documentation to allow you to enter the country.

Alongside the passport that you need to travel to Punta Cana, below are the other necessary documents you will require:

  • Proof of a return flight ticket and purpose of visit.
  • Valid passport that is at least 6 months away from its expiration date.
  • A bank statement or other proof of sufficient financial funds to cover your stay.
  • A visa (if needed).
  • A Dominican Republic e-ticket – a form that all visitors to the country must complete. You can get that online, and can find it here.

Do you need a visa to visit Punta Cana?

Whether you need a visa to visit Punta Cana depends on your citizenship or residency.

You can visit Punta Cana and the Dominican Republic if you are a legal resident or have a current entry visa for the United States, Canada, United Kingdom or Schengen area. If you are in this category you will be granted tourist entry to the Dominican Republic for 30 days.

If you don’t have a passport or entry visa from those countries or areas then you will need to apply for a visa.

If you wish to stay longer than 30 days, even if you’re from a visa-exempt country, then you must apply for a ‘stay extension’. That will allow a tourist to stay up to 120 days in the Dominican Republic, and will cost around $100-200. You can pay for that online here or at the airport.

Recommended Stay in Punta Cana:

Radisson Blu Punta Cana: This exceptional all-inclusive resort is just steps away from the “Coconut Coast”, an area of white sand, great activities and nightlife. The resort has a stunning lagoon-style pool, six exclusive restaurants, a fitness center, spa and more. Find out more by clicking here.

Do You Need a Passport to go to Punta Cana

Do children need a passport to travel to Punta Cana?

As with adults, children also require a passport to travel to Punta Cana from the US by plane. The same visa rule exemptions apply too.

Best way to travel to Punta Cana from the US

The best and easiest way to travel to Punta Cana from the US is by plane, and you can find around 20 different direct flights from the US to Punta Cana. Several are seasonal though.

Conclusion: Do you need a passport to go to Punta Cana?

Yes, US citizens do need a passport to go to Punta Cana. Travelling to Punta Cana by plane is generally the easiest and most effective mode of transport. However, when flying to Punta Cana it is absolutely essential that you and your children have a valid passport.

Other documents necessary to travel to Punta Cana from America include a return flight, bank statements, e-ticket, and a visa if needed. While US citizens don’t need a visa if they’re staying for less than 30 days, if you are planning to stay longer then you should apply for a stay extension.