Last updated on November 2, 2021 by Wandering our World
With so many options in the Caribbean, how are you supposed to decide which island to choose from? As if planning a family vacation isn’t hard enough!
You must be asking yourself, what would be the best option for kids? What gives the best holiday experience as a whole? Which island has the best family-friendly hotels and resorts? What island will give you the best of the Caribbean as a family?
Well look no further! We know this region like the back of our hand, and know the best Caribbean islands for families better than anyone else.
Here’s our top six best Caribbean islands for families:
The Best Caribbean Islands for Families and Why You Should Visit Them
1. U.S. Virgin Islands
The white sandy beaches sparkle under the tropical sun as the coral reefs and rolling green hills flourish with life. That’s the U.S. Virgin Islands, and it’s stunning.
But it takes our top spot as the the best Caribbean island for families because of the fun and exciting range of activities that you can enjoy here.
St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix – the main islands that make up the U.S. Virgin Islands – form the perfect family-friendly vacation you can ask for because they’re packed with adventure.
From snorkeling, ziplining, aquariums, go-karting, kayaking and more. You’ll find plenty of things here that are bound to get your kids off their phones and having fun under the island sun.
Cruising is an integral part of a vacation in the U.S. Virgin Islands too, so make sure you book a cruise on a catamaran while here. It’s something that both adults and kids will love.
The Best Family Activities in the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Visit the Virgin Islands National Park (St. John)
- Go swimming in Trunk Bay (St. John), a beach regularly voted as one of the world’s top ten.
- Zip through the rainforest at Tree Limin’ Extreme Zipline (St. Thomas).
- Swim with sharks at Coral World Ocean Park (St. Thomas)
- Meet sea turtles at Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge (St. Croix)
- Go back in time at Fort Frederik (St. Croix)
Some of the Best Family-friendly Resorts and Hotels in U.S. Virgin Islands
- The Buccaneer Beach & Golf Resort (St. Croix)
- The Ritz-Carlton (St. Thomas)
- Bluebeards Resort (St. Thomas)
- Bolongo Bay Beach Resort (St. Thomas)
- Emerald Beach Resort (St. Thomas)
2. The Bahamas
The Bahamas are known for having some of the best beaches in the world! So if you are looking for a wholesome beachside family vacation, this is the place to be.
Often dubbed by many as one of the best Caribbean destinations for families, we have to agree. It’s your perfect ‘sun and fun’ vacation. Expect plenty of beach activities like snorkeling, swimming with pigs (yes that’s an actual thing in the Bahamas!), kayaking, waterparks, and island hopping on catamarans and speed boats.
Of course beaches are known for being great fun for kids of all ages and in the Bahamas you can find over 2000 beaches across 700 islands. Only 30 of those islands are inhabited too, so it’s possible to have a family day out on your own deserted island – just hire and boat and enjoy paradise. (Recommended: The Best Island in the Bahamas For You!).
If you’re looking for a family vacation where you also get the chance to relax, then the Bahamas is perfect. Just make sure you visit Pig Beach on Big Major Cay. It’s a typically gorgeous Bahamian beach, on a typically gorgeous Bahamian island, except that a colony of friendly pigs live here – and they love swimming with people!
But if you need to really tire out your kids then visit the huge 141 acre water park called Aquaventure. There’s a mile long river ride, many huge water slides, 11 swimming pools, a river rapids, and even more. It’s often touted as being the best waterpark in the world.
Predator Lagoon – a huge aquarium – is also well worth visiting, and brings you close to sharks and colorful jellyfish. A worthy contender on our list of best Caribbean islands for families.
The Best Family Activities in the Bahamas
- Swim with the friendly pigs at Pig Beach and get an incredible photo (Big Major Cay).
- Visit the world’s best waterpark, Aquaventure (Paradise Island)
- Snorkel with sea turtles (Green Turtle Cay).
- Go island hopping.
- Visit the huge underwater cave tunnels in Lucayan National Park (Grand Bahama).
- Meet sharks at Predator Lagoon (Paradise Island).
Some of the Best Family-friendly Resorts and Hotels in the Bahamas
- Pink Sands Resort (Harbour Island)
- The Royal at Atlantis (New Providence Island)
- Grand Hyatt Baha Mar (Nassau)
- Coral Sands Hotel (Harbour Island)
- Hilton at Resorts World Bimini (Bimini)
3. Grand Cayman
The largest island found in the Cayman Islands is as stunning and grand as its name.
Grand Cayman has a unique mix of fun adventures for everyone in the family, making every day special during your stay. From the standard sunbathing and local boat tours to adrenaline pumping watersports and even horseback riding on the beach.
It’s more than just sun, sea, and sand at Grand Cayman. All of the activities here give you a chance to bond with your family while enjoying a vacation in one of the world’s most beautiful destinations.
Why not swim with stingrays? If that’s not a bonding experience, we don’t know what is! There’s a place in Grand Cayman – called Stingray City – where friendly stingray interact with people and enjoy being fed. It’s an incredible experience.
For an experience that will never be forgotten by anyone in your family, you must visit the mystical Bioluminescent Bay.
This incredible bay lights up at night because of tiny single-celled organisms called dinoflagellates that emit light as they move in the water, causing the ocean to glow. Witnessing this first hand is incredibly special, and something you have to do. You can find this magical bay on the north side of Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman is a very safe destination too, so you can watch your kids swim in the shallow warm waters knowing that this is one of the most family friendly destinations in the world. This destination is easily one of the best Caribbean islands for families.
The Best Family Activities in Grand Cayman
- Take a boat tour to Stingray City so you can swim with stingrays.
- Hike the pretty Mastic Trail for wonderful scenery in one of the last untouched forests in the region.
- Swim or kayak in the magical Bioluminescent Bay.
- Ride horses on the beach with Pampered Ponies.
- Enjoy a family picnic at the award-winning Seven Mile Beach.
- Take a boat to the isolated Starfish Point where you can find colorful starfish.
Some of the Best Family-friendly Resorts and Hotels in Grand Cayman
- Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa
- Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman
- The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- The Grandview Condos Cayman Islands
- Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
This beautiful island has lush green hills as far as the eye can see, and is home to rich culture, exquisite architecture and mouth-watering cuisines.
And if you are looking for a low-key vacation destination to rest and relax, you can’t do much better than Grenada.
This is one of the least visited islands in the Caribbean so you won’t be hassled with large crowds. There’s a real laid back vibe thanks to the quaint island life here.
Older kids can spice up a Grenada vacation with a range of fun activities like scuba diving, kayaking, paddle boarding and windsurfing. Or why not visit some of the island’s many waterfalls that are hidden amongst the lush rainforest. Many have wonderful natural swimming pools that are perfect for a refreshing dip, and then a tasty picnic afterwards!
However what really makes Grenada special, is that unlike other islands in the Caribbean it doesn’t feel like life revolves around tourism. In fact this island is named ‘The Spice Isle’ because it’s one of the world’s biggest producers of cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric, ginger, bay leaves and many others.
Nestled in Grenada’s lush hilly interior is Belvedere Plantation – one of the island’s biggest spice plantations. A visit here will transport you back in time, and will also give you the chance to see, smell, and taste, this island’s famous exports. It’s a great interactive learning experience for kids.
How about a visit to the Grand Etang Forest Reserve where you can find a huge lake formed from a volcanic crater. Keep an eye out on the trees while walking there, and see if you can spot the friendly Mona monkeys that live in the reserve! In fact this island has some great hiking opportunities, with mountains, waterfalls and jungle treks to discover.
The Best Family Activities in Grenada
- Do a spice tour at Belvedere Plantation.
- Go monkey spotting at Grand Etang Forest Reserve.
- Swim in the little natural pools at the incredible Royal Mount Carmel Waterfalls.
- Go chocolate tasting at the Grenada Chocolate Company.
- Take a boat to the tiny islands of Carriacou and Petit Martinique that are renowned for their snorkeling.
- Kayak amongst mangroves and coral reefs with Conservation Kayak.
Some of the Best Family-friendly Hotels and Resorts in Grenada
- Coyaba Beach Resort
- Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & Restaurant Grenada
- Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel
- Radisson Grenada Beach Resort
- True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
5. St. Kitts & Nevis
St. Kitts & Nevis are twin islands found in the southern Caribbean. Steeped in rich history, these islands have some of the best views in the Caribbean but remain one of the region’s less visited destinations.
However in our opinion, if you’re looking for a relaxing stay with a touch of adventure for the kids, then St. Kitts & Nevis is a great choice!
This friendly safe destination has beautiful plantations to explore, a unique and interesting culture, and if you time your trip right, you may be here for one of their many fun-filled carnivals! The biggest carnival – Sugar Mas – usually begins at the start of January.
Along with the usual seaside activities – swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, jet skis and parasailing – there’s a mountainous inland that’s fantastic for family hikes and landrover safari tours. (Related: The Best Beaches in St Kitts).
A trip to St Kitts isn’t complete without visiting the large dormant volcano that dominates the island – Mount Liamuiga. You need a good level of fitness to trek this 1,156 meter peak, but the views are spectacular. Green vervet monkeys live in the rainforest on the slopes, so tell your kids to keep their eyes on the trees as you walk!
The Best Things To Do in St Kitts & Nevis as a Family
- Go monkey spotting at Mount Liamuiga (St. Kitts).
- Swim at Cockleshell Bay then take a water taxi to Nevis.
- Wallow and picnic at Oualie Beach and bay, one of the most secluded bays in the region (Nevis).
- Take the St. Kitts Scenic Railway – a 29km railway that takes you through some of the best landscape on St Kitts.
- Go on a land rover safari tour in St. Kitts’ rainforest with Greg’s Safaris.
Some of the Best Family-friendly Hotels and Resorts in St Kitts & Nevis
- Four Seasons Resort Nevis (Nevis)
- Oualie Beach Resort (Nevis)
- Marriott’s St. Kitts Beach Club (St. Kitts)
- Royal St. Kitts Hotel (St. Kitts)
- Bird Rock Beach Hotel (St. Kitts)
Many visitors to the Caribbean haven’t even heard of Anguilla, and that’s maybe because reaching this remote island requires a flight to St. Maarten (there’s nothing stopping you from having a short stay here as well!) and then a ferry ride to Anguilla.
However as it’s not a well-known travel destination, this tiny island has very few tourists and is an incredibly safe destination where everyone seems to know everyone!
The pristine white beaches and glittering blue waters in Anguilla have some of the most calm, warm water in the Caribbean, so are very safe for young kids to frolic in.
If you or your kids want a little more adventure, it’s possible to learn how to kitesurf here – and the waves are some of the best and safest for beginners too. In many aspects, Anguilla has to be one of the safest Caribbean islands for families.
You can easily hire a paddle board or even a glass-bottom kayak too, so you can look at the sea bottom as you paddle!
Get ready to fall in love with some of the best food in the Caribbean as well, because Anguilla is known for serving up some of finest local cuisine.
The Best Family Activities in Anguilla
- Hire a glass-bottom kayak with Anguilla Watersports.
- Swim and snorkel at the isolated Prickly Pear Cays.
- Rent a jet ski and have fun on the water.
- Have a family picnic at Rendezvous Bay – one of the Caribbean’s best white sand beaches.
- Island hop to St Martin.
Some of the Best Family-friendly Hotels and Resorts in Anguilla
- Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
- Turtle’s Nest Beach Resort
- Zemi Beach House
- Shoal Bay Villas
- Fountain Anguilla